Reproductive endocrinology and infertility

Reproductive endocrinology and infertility (REI) is a surgical subspecialty of obstetrics and gynecology that trains physicians in reproductive medicine addressing hormonal functioning as it pertains to reproduction as well as the issue of infertility. While most REI specialists primarily focus on the treatment of infertility, reproductive endocrinologists are trained to also evaluate and treat hormonal dysfunctions in females and males outside infertility. Reproductive endocrinologists have specialty training in obstetrics and gynecology (ob-gyn) before they undergo sub-specialty training (fellowship) in REI.

Reproductive surgery is a related specialty, where a physician in ob-gyn or urology further specializes to operate on anatomical disorders that affect fertility.[1]


In a number of countries, the pathway to become a subspecialist in REI is regulated. Thus, in the United States, for instance, the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG) and American Osteopathic Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology set the standards for subspecialists to become certified. After four years of training in Obstetrics and Gynecology, a three-year approved fellowship needs to be successfully completed. Then, to become board certified in reproductive endocrinology and infertility, one must first complete board certification in obstetrics and gynecology (written and oral exams), and then certify in reproductive endocrinology and infertility (written and oral exams).

In the United States, fellowship in reproductive endocrinology and infertility usually takes 3 years, and is offered in 40 centers across the country as of 2013.[2]

In the European Union, the European Board and College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (EBCOG) has accreditation centers for a subspecialist training program in reproductive medicine at 4 centers across the EU as of 2012.[3]

In Australia and New Zealand, a training program in reproductive endocrinology and infertility takes 3 years, and is offered in 15 centers across the two countries.[4]


Reproductive endocrinologists Certified by ACOG often belong to a specific medical society named Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (SREI). As a condition of full membership, medical practitioners must be ACOG-certified in the reproductive endocrinology and infertility subspecialty.[5]


  • Human Reproduction is published on behalf of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology. According to SCImago Journal Rank, its review journal Human Reproduction Update was the highest ranking journal in obstetrics and gynecology in 2008.[6]
  • Reproduction is published on behalf of the Society for Reproduction and Fertility in the United Kingdom.
  • Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology (RB&E) is an online open access journal published by BioMed Central.[7] It deals with both veterinary and human reproductive medicine.
  • Fertility and Sterility is a monthly journal from the American Society for Reproductive Medicine

Also, many academic journals in obstetrics and gynaecology dedicate many articles to reproductive endocrinology and infertility.

See also


  1. Glossary The InterNational Council on Infertility Information Dissemination (INCIID). Last Updated: May 4, 2004
  2. DIRECTORY OF FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMS IN REPRODUCTIVE ENDOCRINOLOGY AND INFERTILITY - Fellowships Available in 2013 at Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
  3. Accredited centres at ESHRE. Retrieved Mars 2012
  4. "Certification in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Training Program Handbook 2015". Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. 2014.
  5. Society for Reproductive Endocrinology Brochure, Retrieved on Jan. 21, 2011.
  6. > Obstetrics and gynecology Retrieved on April 15, 2010
  7. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology > about Retrieved on May 29, 2010
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.