The suboccipital muscles are a group of muscles defined by their location to the occiput. Suboccipital muscles are located below the occipital bone. These are four paired muscles on the underside of the occipital bone; the two straight muscles (rectus) and the two oblique muscles (obliquus).
|Anatomical terms of muscle
The muscles are named
- Rectus capitis posterior major goes from the spinous process of the axis (C2) to the occipital bone.
- Rectus capitis posterior minor goes from the middle of the posterior arch of the atlas to the occipit.
- Obliquus capitis superior goes from the transverse process of the atlas to the occiput.
- Obliquus capitis inferior goes from the spine of the axis vertebra to the transverse process of the atlas.
They are innervated by the suboccipital nerve.
- Position of suboccipital muscles. Animation.
- Close up. Seen from below.
- Still image.