Below is a brief selection of recent CDC publications on seat belts.
- Shults RA, Haegerich TM. Bhat G. Teens and seatbelt use: what makes them click? J Safety Res 2016;57:19–25; DOI:10.1016/j.jsr.2016.03.003
- Bhat G, Beck L, Bergen G, Kresnow M. Predictors of rear seat belt use among US adults, 2012. J Safety Res 2015;53:103-106.
- Faul M, Bell J, Bergen G. Seat belts and airbags in motor vehicle crashes: How protective are these devices in preventing or reducing the severity of a TBI? Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 2015;30: E1-E56.
- Shults RA, Beck LF. Self-reported seatbelt use, United States, 2002–2010: Does prevalence vary by state and type of seatbelt law? J Safety Res 2012;43:417-20.
- Strine TW, Beck L, Bolen J, Okoro C, Li C. Potential moderating role of seat belt law on the relationship between seat belt use and adverse health behavior. Am J Health Behav 2012;36:44-55.
- Ibrahimova I, Shults RA, Beck LF. Comparison of 2008 national and state-level self-reported and observed seatbelt use estimates. Inj Prev 2011;17:201-3.
- Strine TW, Beck LF, Bolen J, Okoro C, Dhingra S, Balluz L. Geographic and sociodemographic variation in self-reported seat belt use in the United States. Acc Anal Prev 2010;42:1066-1071.
- Beck LF, Shults RA. Seat Belt Use in States and Territories with Primary and Secondary Laws – United States, 2006. J Safety Research 2009;40:469-472.
- Beck LF, Shults RA, Mack K, Ryan G. Associations Between Sociodemographics and Safety Belt Use in States With and Without Primary Enforcement Laws. Am J Public Health 2007;97:1619-24.
- Beck LF, Shults RA, Colley Gilbert B. Pregnant women and safety belts: what do we know? Research on Women’s Issues in Transportation: Report of a Conference 2005;35(2):140-6.
- Beck LF, Colley Gilbert B, Shults RA. Prevalence of seat belt use among reproductive-aged women and prenatal counseling to wear seat belts. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005;192(2):580-5.
- Shults RA, Elder RW, Sleet DA, Thompson RS, Nichols JL. Primary enforcement seat belt laws are effective even in the face of rising belt use rates. Acc Anal Prev 2004;36: 491–493.
- Hedlund J, Preusser DF, Shults RA. A research agenda for increasing safety belt use in the United States. J Safety Research;2004:35-231-235.
- Shults RA, Nichols JL, Dinh-Zarr TB, Sleet DA, Elder RW. Effectiveness of primary enforcement safety belt laws and enhanced enforcement of safety belt laws: A summary of the Guide to Community Preventive Services systematic reviews. J Safety Research 2004;35:189–196.
- Dinh-Zarr, T. B., Sleet, D. A., Shults, R. A., Zaza, S., Elder, R. W., Nichols, J. L., et al. (2001). Reviews of evidence regarding interventions to increase the use of safety belts. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 21(Suppl 4), 48−65.
- Beck LF, Downs J, Stevens MR, Sauber-Schatz EK. Rural and Urban Differences in Passenger-Vehicle-Occupant Deaths and Seat Belt Use Among Adults — United States, 2014. MMWR Surveill Summ 2017;66(17):1-13.
- Sauber-Schatz EK, Ederer DJ, Dellinger AM, Baldwin GT. Vital Signs: Motor Vehicle Injury Prevention — United States and 19 Comparison Countries. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. ePub: 6 July 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6526e1
- Chen GX, Collins JW, Sieber WK, Pratt SG, et al. Vital Signs: Seat Belt Use Among Long-Haul Truck Drivers — United States, 2010. MMWR 2015;64:217-221.
- Beck LF, West BA. Vital Signs: Nonfatal, motor vehicle-occupant injuries (2009) and seat belt use (2008) among adults – United States. MMWR 2011;59:1681-6.
- Beck LF, Mack KA, Shults RA. Impact of primary laws on adult use of safety belts – United States, 2002. MMWR 2004;53:257-60.