Right coronary artery

In the coronary circulation, the right coronary artery (RCA) is an artery originating above the right cusp of the aortic valve, at the right aortic sinus in the heart. It travels down the right coronary sulcus, towards the crux of the heart. It branches into the posterior descending artery and the right marginal artery. Although rare, several anomalous courses of the right coronary artery have been described including origin from the left aortic sinus.[1]

Right coronary artery
Sternocostal (front) surface of heart. (Right coronary artery labeled at left.)
Sourceascending aorta
Suppliesright atrium (RA), right ventricle (RV), & 25% to 35% of left ventricle.
Latinarteria coronaria dextra
Anatomical terminology

At the origin of the RCA is the conus artery.

In addition to supplying blood to the right ventricle (RV), the RCA supplies 25% to 35% of the left ventricle (LV).

In 85% of patients (Right Dominant), the RCA gives off the posterior descending artery (PDA). In the other 15% of cases (Left Dominant), the PDA is given off by the left circumflex artery. The PDA supplies the inferior wall, ventricular septum, and the posteromedial papillary muscle.

The RCA also supplies the SA nodal artery in 60% of people. The other 40% of the time, the SA nodal artery is supplied by the left circumflex artery.

Additional images

Coronary arteries (labeled in red text) and other major landmarks (in blue text). Right coronary artery is at left in the image.
RCA = right coronary
AB = atrial branches
SANB = sinuatrial nodal
RMA = right marginal
LCA = left coronary
CB = circumflex branch
LAD/AIB = anterior interventricular
LMA = left marginal
PIA/PDA = posterior descending
MARG = left marginal
AVN = atrioventricular nodal
SCV = small cardiac
ACV = anterior cardiac
AIV/GCV = great cardiac
MCV = middle cardiac
CS = coronary sinus


  1. Angelini, P. (15 July 2014). "Novel Imaging of Coronary Artery Anomalies to Assess Their Prevalence, the Causes of Clinical Symptoms, and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac Death". Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging. 7 (4): 747–754. doi:10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.113.000278.
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.