American Association of Physician Specialists
The American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc. (AAPS) is a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit organization founded in 1950, with headquarters in Tampa, Florida. The AAPS was first organized to provide specialty certification for physicians who had obtained advanced training in various areas of medical specialty. AAPS was the first organization of its kind to accept both M.D. and D.O. physicians as full members.
Tax ID no.
|Doctor of Medicine (MD)|
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
|Craig A. Smith|
Interim Chief Executive Officer
|Affiliations||American Association of Physician Specialists Foundation|
AAPS' mission is to promote the art and science of medicine for the betterment of the public health, to advance the interests of physicians and their patients, to promote public health, to lobby for legislation favorable to physicians and patients, and to advance new and evolving areas of medical specialization through academic discourse. It also publishes the American Journal of Clinical Medicine (AJCM).
The American Board of Physician Specialties (ABPS), the official certifying body of the AAPS, is the United States' third largest recognized physician multi-specialty certifying body, providing physician board certification re-certification for thousands of physicians in following 20 medical specialties:
- Administrative Medicine
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Disaster Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine Obstetrics
- Family Practice
- Geriatric Medicine
- Hospital Medicine
- Integrative Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Radiation Oncology
- Urgent Care
- "Form 990: Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax". American Association of Physician Specialists. December 31, 2014.
- "Governance". American Association Physician Specialists. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "Staff". American Association Physician Specialists. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "About AAPS". American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "Board Certifications". American Association of Physician Specialists Inc. Retrieved 7 October 2016.